This competency refers to the ability to recognise problems and decide on an appropriate course of action. The scope includes analysing and defining a problem, evaluating alternative solutions and selecting the best option.
Level 1 - Awareness
• Recognise a problem and make attempts to resolve it.
• Identify information needed to solve the problem.
• Choose from known and readily accessible solutions to solve problems.
Level 2 - Knowledge
• Break problems into simple components, in order to identify the causes.
• Seek additional information about a situation other than what has been given.
• Link typical causes to a problem and identify solutions to commonly occurring problems.
Level 3 - Skill
• Use analytical techniques to break down problems into manageable parts.
• Apply problem-solving tools to diagnose a problem or situation.
• Develop alternative solutions based on analysis of the problem.
Level 4 - Mastery
• Analyse the relationships among the several parts of the problem or situation.
• Reconcile the conflicts between short-term requirements and long-term objectives.
• Recognise patterns and anticipate the “what if” scenarios and related contingencies for evaluation of the best option.
Level 5 - Expert
• Recommend systematic methods to break apart complex situations or problems to reach a solution.
• Consider long-term trends or risk in assessment of problems or situation.
• Evaluate a number of solutions and weigh the value of each to improve results.